WOODEN ARTICULAR CHURCHE IN KEŽMAROK
This national cultural sight was built almost 300 years ago. It ranks among 8 Slovak wooden churches, which were registered in the UNESCO List of the World Cultural Heritage in 2008.
The church is situated next to the New Evangelical Church, which looks like a mosque. Nowhere else in the world, you will find such a combination of architectural styles.
The wooden church in Kežmarok comes from the times of religious oppression of Protestants, who were only allowed to build their church on the basis of the permission contained in the 26th legal article - so-called articul, which was enacted by the Sopron Assembly in 1681. The Protestants could build their churches only in the suburbs outside the town walls and in the place, which was exactly appointed by the Royal Commission. The church had to be built exclusively at the expense of the Protestant parish and out of the cheapest building material, which was wood.
The church, which is sanctified to the Holy Trinity, was financially supported by the Protestants from all over Northern Europe. The Swedish and Danish king even ordered financial gatherings for this purpose in their countries. It has been said that the Swedish seamen also helped with the church construction and they left a trace upon it - the upper part of the interior reminds of a ship´s fore turned upside down and the windows are round-shaped - just like on ships. The church leans on four sinuous columns and peripheral walls. 6 galleries were another support. 1541 people can be seated on the galleries and on the ground floor.
The altar was made by Ján Lerch from Kežmarok in 1718 - 1727. He also created the pulpit. In front of the altar, there is a stone font with a copper cover from 1690. The font is placed on a post. The organ was made by the Levoča organ-builder Vavrinec Čajkovský in 1717 - 1720, and completed by Martin Korabinský from Spišská Nová Ves in 1729. The Kežmarok organ is the oldest and thus, the most valuable working instrument with two fingerboards in Slovakia. The visit to this church really provides an extraordinary experience.